Friday, September 9, 2011

Career Services

So today I begin my job search...oh joy. I have been dreading the searching for jobs, the writing of the cover letter, the tweaking of the resume, the nibbling away at my fingertips while I wait for the return email or call for the interview and most of all I dread the choice I need to make. So instead I have been off in a fantasy land thinking that I can prolong the job search by "exploring my options," and you may be scoffing at the little blonde girl that is complaining about making a choice, because maybe you didn't have a choice, but sometimes it's easier on the mind when you don't have a choice. I on the other hand have explored everything from the service to teaching with medical school, the peace core and TEFL in between. I have been putting off responsibility with indecision and, hey, yet another idea. My friends and family say, "so what does Jill want to do at this hour?"Well now it's time to buckle down and get serious.

I visited career services at my almamater, and Erin, gave me a few exercises to work on. They are as follows:

1st Think about my top 3 careers
2nd Go for informational interviews with someone from each of these careers
3rd- Shadow, volunteer, or get an internship at one of these places
4th-Think about what my ideal day would be
5th- Where do I see myself in 5 years?

If all else fails, pursue teaching. It would allow me to pay off debt, save some money, and buy me the time needed to make a decision.

Ok so let's think about my top three careers.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I think it might help if I first think about the things I love:
* Rock climbing
* Swimming
* Writing
* Creating anything art
* Human Anatomy & Physiology
* Sex and the City (hehe)
* Running through the woods on a rainy day, barefoot
* Learning
* The Native American Culture
* Getting Back to Basics
* Exercising
* Being Productive
* Eating healthy, fresh food

Things I want to have:
* VW bus converted to run off of veggie oil
* A pair of moccasins that I have made
* Moped
* Motorcycle
* Cell Phone
* Lap Top
* A Garden
* Hunting/gathering/fishing skills
* Alternative Medicine Know-how
* A husky

Now for the ideal day:

Wake up with the sun, go for a run through the woods with my husky, go for a swim in the river, pick vegetables from my garden gather some eggs from my chickens, collect some raw milk from my goats and take some venison from the freezer. Cook up a hardy breakfast. Eat it outside on the stone step. Meditate. Go into my artist loft and sculpt or do some pottery or draw. Sew together a pair of boots or a satchel from the deer hide that I tanned. When I am finished I put it in my shop. Pack up the VW bus with husky and climbing gear, head to the mountain for some sport routes and overnight camping. Come home visit the Stevenson's because their son is experiencing back pain, and write. Read a book by the fire and candlelight. Go to sleep.

Top 3 Careers:

*Writer
*Artist
*Holistic Healer

Where do I see myself in 5 years?
Studying alternative medicine: Herbs, chiropractic, native american and Chinese medicine, ancient medicine, finding my spiritual center. Establishing my own practice. Eventually having a wellness center. Art is not something I need to go to school for, it is a gift, and I act on inspiration.

I want to go to the arctic circle, live among the inuits for a while, spend some time with some pure-bred Native Americans, learn how to get back to basics in both health and lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment